7/17/07

back ...

from CBLand ;-). The place that holds my spirit.



It's definitely a special place for most who visit, even briefly.

I had the distinct pleasure of visiting for 10 whole days. As noted earlier, much riding, giggling, socializing, and solo-izing had been accomplished.

I really should have been keeping the blog up to date as the days rolled by. But really, there was no time for that. It's unfortunate, tho, because I might have had a lot to say about each and every day ... and about the magical residue of wheeling around such a grounding, inspiring, touching place as Crested Butte. Not to mention that every ride is a wonderful journey, no matter how painful, minor or seemingly 'regular.' I likely had a lot to say along the way.


Favorite ride: definitely Monday's 50 miler with Missy. We rode from town, and as noted earlier, hit Reno-Flag-Bear-Deadman's. It was, hands down, the most fun and inspiring ride of the week. The climbs were super sweet, and the descents were luscious. I was ON and felt Right and was honoring whatever Flow there was working it's way through the system. I did not stop smiling for a single second ... even in the head-wind back up the highway into CB. We didn't see a single soul out there out on the trails, save for two moto dudes who's power-ponies had decided to break down (aw). The air was sweet and cool. The waters were supremely refreshing (deep crossings!!). And all was well in the Universe ... (this itty bitty corner of it anyway). Missy is AmaZing! Truly a grounded soul and and an angelic spirit. I was lucky to have her company ... lucky to have her as a guide ... lucky to have her as a new friend. I learned a lot from Missy that day.

In fact, the women of CB astound me to no end. I was lucky all the way around to be in such company.


I have not yet processed most of the pictures. In truth, I've sort of not processed the whole experience of being on vacation! Lots of thoughts and evolutions and ... even some tears. Damn, life can be SO GOOD. And right now, I am so grateful.

(<--- this causes great thunder). In fact, thank you, Ed, for causing thunder throughout our spring and summer, throughout our rides, our adventures, our endless hours crossing our glorious State in my little MEWO-car, and for our endless hours of mtbExploration. Thank you for all our moments leading up to this particular ridge line, and this particular afternoon....



The CB Classic was just an amazing event ... to watch (blush). I rode too hard the whole 7 days before hand, and was obviously not going to subject myself to the 100 miles and endlessly vertical push.... I was truly fine w/ not racing, but rather disgruntled at the fact that my body just couldn't keep going? WTF?!??!

Needless to say: It was an honor to get to be there for Ed in his efforts to run the gauntlet of mountains, climbs, heat, competition and biting buggers. I got to run part of the show from the Brick (finish line/loop central), and had an amazingly entertaining day talking with every rider who ventured out to find their own personal oblivion. I envied every last drop of sweat. And it was a joy to get to send each and every one of them off with a blessing of energy and high-spirits. You ALL ROCK!!!

4 comments:

FixieDave said...

Super cool! I wish I din't have miss that one. CB is sucha neat place. Sounds as if you had some alone time witch is such a lovely thing and so many people don't stop and enjoy it....

Nice Pics!

I didn't know there that many women in cb =)

Dave said...

You rock a little bit yourself.

I could be as cool as you, if only I had the hair.....



Sigh.

Dave said...

Your vacation sounds incredible. It has been my experience that the "place" is what draws us in but it is the people you meet and/or spend time with that leave the most lasting memories of a great vacation. Thanks for sharing!

Dave Harris said...

What an awesome 10 days. I can just imagine that the energy you passed on to each rider helped them to a faster time...you singlehandedly shortened the duration of the CB100 :)